PROJECT MANAGERS COMPETENCY ENHANCEMENT TRAINING
Client: ETHIOPIAN ROADS AUTHORITY
We have conducted Project Managers’ Competency Enhancement Training, which is sponsored and organized by Ethiopian Roads Authority (ERA), with an objective of delivering project management training for Engineers (Prospective Project Managers) and to enable them for effective and efficient implementation of Project Management throughout the projects under the Road Sector Development Program (RSDP). The training program is organized in two phases where each phase of the training is conducted in 5 rounds for a total period of 10 weeks. The duration for the first phase was from July 8 to August 11 2013 while the second phase of the training is conducted from September 16 to October 20/ 2013. The total number of trainees is 200.
The service has involved : - Assessment of project managers’ competency gap in terms of knowledge, performance and interpersonal skills required for effectively managing projects.
- Developing training modules to address the competency gap, 13 training modules that cover all areas of project management body of knowledge is prepared.
- Developing competency assessment questionnaire and documenting the pre training competency level which will serve as a baseline to measure future improvements
- Conducting the training based on the prepared modules for about 200 trainees in two phases where each phase of the training is conducted for 5 weeks
- Preparing guidelines and checklists that will serve as a guideline in the day to day activity of project managers
- Developing Project Managers Competency Development Framework (PMCDF) that defines the required competency level for different classification and grades of project managers.
The list of modules prepared and delivered for the training are:
- MODULE 1
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT FRAMEWORK
- MODULE 2
- PROJECT SCOPE MANAGEMENT
- MODULE 3
- PROJECT HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- MODULE 4
- PROJECT QUALITY MANAGEMENT
- MODULE 5
- CONTRACT MANAGEMENT (PART 1and 2)
- MODULE 6
- PROJECT TIME MANAGEMENT (PART 1and 2)
- MODULE 7
- MATERIAL MANAGEMENT
- MODULE 8
- INTEGRATED HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT
- MODULE 9
- PROJECT COST MANAGEMENT
- MODULE 10
- PROJECT RISK MANAGEMENT
- MODULE 11
- ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
- MODULE 12
- EQUIPMENT MANAGEMENT AND PREVENTIVE MAINTAINANCE
- MODULE 13
- PROJECT COMMUNICATION MANAGEMENT
The overall output of the first phase training includes enabling trainees with competency of
Project Management Framework +
Including project definition, elements of project management, project cycle, stakeholders and value engineering
Project Scope Management +
planning, defining, executing, verifying and controlling changes of project scope.
Project Time Management (Part 1) +
Planning, activity definition, activity sequencing, estimating activity duration, schedule development, implementation and control of schedule.
Project Quality Management +
Determining quality requirement, conducting quality planning, quality assurance and control
Project Human Resource Management +
Organizational definition, organizational planning, staff acquisition, team development and managing human resources.
Professional Ethics +
for project managers
Contract Management (Part 1) +
that includes knowledge in roles & responsibilities of parties, understanding the different forms of contract, elements of contract management and various meetings
Material Management +
That includes identification of material requirement in terms of quality & quantity, timely delivery of materials, process of purchasing and logistic management
Integrated Health And Safety Management +
That includes awareness on the country’s available laws, planning and managing safety and critical issues for improvement of the current practice in terms of managing health and safety.
Similarly, the overall output of the second phase training includes enabling trainees with competency of:-